The logo of our physics homepage has been obtained by filtering and merging
two pictures. The first one is a detail of
Tosio-Martinengo in the
centre of Brescia, not far from our department. This impressive building,
which now hosts an important Pinacoteca, was constructed in 1557 - possibly
by Lodovico Beretta - for Antonio Martinengo Cesaresco, and decorated by
Jacopo Medici Manfredini. The second picture is a schematic plan of the
Synchrotron Light Source in Trieste, where some of the research
activities of our department are carried on.
The picture at the top of this page is again a merging of two figures.
The one on the right is an example of
in the regional reserve of rock engravings in Valcamonica, near Brescia.
The same picture is also at the top of the homepage of the
dipartimento di matematica e
fisica. The second one, on the left, is a typical track
produced by two elementary
particles in a bubble chamber. The particles are charged so that they
make spirals in an external magnetic field.